Thursday, February 25, 2016

So, on this beautiful sunny, dry day I let my road bike out of the stable for a ride in the wine country. I had no other aim but to get out and move and metabolize some much needed vitamin D. I had, for the moment, given up on my small quest to hear a strange, disturbing, high-pitched sound that has puzzled residents of Forest Grove for a few days. The story of the unexplained racket has been picked up on national networks; theories as to the source of the sound abound, and no one has figured it out. Last night, after a meeting, I drove around the neighborhood where the sound has been heard; I let my windows down, shivered a bit in the cool shadows beneath a cloud shrouded moon, and . . . heard nothing. So I came home and forgot about it. Anyway, today, I'm about two miles into my bike ride, 3:30 in the afternoon, just getting warmed up, the sun low in the sky and causing me to squint like a mole . . . when a harsh, multi-high pitched sort of shriek drops on me from seemingly everywhere. The noise was absolutely awesome and genuinely disturbing. Now keep in mind I am whizzing along at nearly twenty miles an hour, which is enough to produce a doppler shift effect with a sound from a stationary source. Ordinarily. This noise continued for about three seconds, constant in tone. This is one of the strangest things I've come across. I can understand why folks are a bit freaked out. Someone will probably figure out what is causing the noise before too long. But I kind of hope not. It probably isn't someone harvesting immature mandrakes, even though I did hear the sound while cycling by a local nursery . . .

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I'm just not surprised that you are intrigued by this mystery or seem to understand the possibilities of it. I'll leave it to pure mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll all be disappointed when that mysterious shriek turns out to be mundane...maybe some kids or mischievous adults have built a noise-making machine. What you describe sounds like the exquisite noise an electronic piano can make when the right keys are pressed at the same time, especially if one is slightly off-pitch. Add multiple speakers on the rooftop of a house, and there you go! Devious minds have nothing better to do...

    ReplyDelete