Thursday, August 27, 2015

I keep thinking about this part of Sunday’s lesson, James 1:22-25: “But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves. For if any are hearers of the word and not doers, they are like those who look at themselves in a mirror; for they look at themselves and, on going away, immediately forget what they were like.” I’ve read, and found it plausible to believe, that the very act of moving from one place to another effects short term memory loss. Often I resolve to get or do something in one room, walk into another, and immediately find that I have forgotten what I came in for. If someone is in the room I enter, I usually stare at the person blankly for a moment, then confess I have, in a small way, just lost my mind. Some researchers believe they have demonstrated that the act of passing through a doorway is what triggers forgetfulness. No wonder many people of faith put reminders of God, and themselves, on the doors of their homes. James knows human nature. We all want to know what we look like. Poking at my vanity, he seems to say “If you would pay attention, you would only need to look once.” Or better, perhaps, why worry so much about how I look, when it matters more what I do when I am on the move? I’m about to go for a walk; I hope I remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment