Sunday, August 30, 2015

I felt like an ant gazing up at a gigantic airplane, one with the greatest wingspan of any aircraft ever made. I felt nine years old gawking at the scorched underside of an Apollo capsule plucked from the sea after orbiting the moon. I felt queasy and aghast touching a black ten foot nosecone built to deliver a nuclear bomb. I stood amazed in front of a restored B17 Flying Fortress bomber, with its tiny, fragile bubbles bristling with machine guns. Does that tiny airplane that I could fit in my dining room really fly? I AM TOUCHING A BLACKBIRD. And the lunar landing module looked larger and sturdier than it did on T.V. from the moon as Neil Armstrong set first human foot there. I chuckled reading Buz Adlrin's comment about Armstrong's famous words -- something like, "That may have been a small step for Neil, but it's a long step for me, he is taller than I am." I passed up the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum many times on the way to the beach. I think it is very worth a few steps off the main road to see. I've been to the Smithsonian, it's wonderful. But for me EASM outdid it for accessibility and a feeling of wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment